Join the European XFEL
European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km-long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques.
Two school laboratories are being built on the European XFEL campus. One will be equipped for biology and chemistry experiments and the other for physics experiments. Prior to the expected opening in 2023, educational modules need to be developed and tested. The development of a first module on virus research will be funded by the Joachim Herz Foundation.
For our Visitor Center team, we are now looking for a
Teacher for school laboratories in biology, chemistry and physics (f/m/d)
The successful candidate will initially work on the following tasks:
• Create an Open Educational Resource for high-school students on virus research that will be published online under an open license and includes aspects of bioinformatics, laboratory and presentation components.
• Develop this resource, which will also be used for school classes visiting the school lab, in • collaboration with researchers and teachers; test materials with school classes.
• Contribute to developing further modules for the school laboratories for different high-school classes and subject areas (including biology, chemistry and physics), considering links to European XFEL research as well as school curricula.
• Prepare for school visits, including procurement of equipment, chemicals, bacterial cells, electronics or other experimental items
After the opening of the European XFEL Visitor Centre and School lab, the candidate will:
• Teach and supervise visiting school classes, with assistance from student tutors.
• Provide training and instruction for student tutors.
• Develop networks with schools, scientists and other school laboratories, especially in the local region, but also on a national and international level.
• Continuously improve the teaching modules and develop new ones for different age groups and thematic areas
• Develop concepts for attracting a range of different school classes to attend including different school types and for visiting schools from other European countries
• Develop modules for the training of teachers
• Contribute to strategy development for the European XFEL school laboratories in collaboration with the Visitor Centre Coordinator and PR Group Lead.
• University degree in education and teaching specialised in the natural sciences; or degree in the natural sciences with additional qualification (or equivalent experience) in science education or science communication
• Excellent German language skills, and ability to teach high-school classes in German as well as in English
• Ability to work in multi-disciplinary team
• Experience in developing teaching materials for high-school students in the natural sciences
• Experience teaching in either a school environment or in extra-curricular programmes targeted at high-school students
Become part of a vibrant international and multi-cultural team of scientists, engineers, technical and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress, participate in our international networks, and shape your life upon trust based flexible working times and telecommuting options. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme, broad relocation benefits, as well as subsidized job-tickets and meals at our company restaurant. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Company language is English, non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
Reference number: A-170
Duration: This appointment is initially limited to 2 years. A permanent extension is foreseen at a later stage.
Please apply online and provide a cover letter next to a CV in English, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
Applicants with disabilities will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
Deadline: 10 February 2021
For additional information, please contact Bernd Ebeling (email@example.com).
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
European XFEL GmbH
Holzkoppel 4, 22869 Schenefeld, Germany
- Region: Schleswig-Holstein
- Referenznummer: A-170
- Bewerbungsschluss: 10.02.2021